We have had a number of very serious gorse fires in Hopeman recently, sadly many of them started deliberately, but increasingly people are doing things like dropping cigarettes and leaving disused, still burning barbecues, on the beaches in and around the village.

The big fire  here on June 7 has had a serious impact on the course and it will take a long time to heal.

It is with this in mind that if you’re a smoker then please be extremely careful when disposing of used cigarette butts as it really wouldn’t take much of a spark to set off a fire again that could easily wipe out a lot more of the course, which no one would want to see.